Friday, March 25, 2011

Breaking Bad News




How do you break bad news to someone?  In my job I sometimes have to give it, and I struggle with the fact that both myself and they will be unhappy with the outcome.  After so many years in my line of work, you would think that I would be numb to the reality.  But I'm not.  It is bothersome every time.

I find myself fumbling with lines like, "I have sad news...I'm really bummed...I tried to see if there was any way to make it work...I'm sorry...wish there was something I could do...good luck with everything."  

Sucky.  Sucky.  Sucky.

And how do you come away from that?  How do you continue on with your day when the reality that you are back to square zero (and they are) is now present? How do you...well...have peace?

I am obviously feeling this today. It's just work.  It's not my entire life.  And yet I am sad?  Such a strange world we live in.

And so I guess the only thing I can do in this situation is turn some good music on and...move on.  

Getting bad news is a reality we all face.  Giving bad news is a reality we also face. 

Just wish it wasn't so hard.

***


Onto another subject (because my work experiences have absolutely nothing to do with what I am about to write.)

If you haven't had the privilege of reading one of the most painful and inspiring new blogs about grieving the loss of a loved one, you must start following Sunshine Promises.  My dear friend Amanda recently lost her youngest son, and her strength and daily struggles are a true inspiration.  You will cry and be uplifted with each post.  I have to make sure I don't have make-up on when I read it so that my mascara doesn't smear all over the place. 


***


Happy Friday!  Really.  It will be.





5 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Thanks for sending me to your friend's blog. It's lovely, and so is she. I will be praying for her and her family.

As for breaking bad news, it's never easy, is it? It seems like the best thing we can do is just to tell it straight and show that we care.

It is what it is, right?

=)

Stef said...

Gonna go visit your friend's blog next.

What is it that you do that makes you have to give bad news? (Sorry I don't know this)

Pitterle Postings said...

It my job, I have had to give bad news way too many times. I try to do it with compassion and empathy. Sometimes they respond badly, sometimes they are totally amazing. I am just the bearer of the news. Their own actions are usually the reason I have to give it in the first place. I try to be as sincere and kind as I can be without acting wishy washy.

Mary Seals said...

You should have a t-shirt that says "don't kill the messenger" for days like that.

Probably it wouldn't help.

Charlotte said...

My husband's job entails telling people their loved ones have died. Often unexpectedly. It takes a definite permanent toll. Some days he comes home from work and I can just see how much he's been drained that day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin