Monday, August 15, 2011

The one where I made apple turnovers


I just realized that this is probably the least pretty turnover in the bunch, but since the rest were eaten...imagine the potential;)


So there I was after I had slaved away for the last 2 1/2 hours preparing a roasted chicken, new potatoes, yeast rolls, and snap green beans and I thought to myself,  "more! I need more!"

Such a gluttonous world I was raised in.

I looked around my pantry and realized that I was out of chocolate so holy cow woman, what could I make?  Then I saw the apple pie filling I had canned last year and realized that I could probably do something with that.  An apple pie seemed too heavy and Rowdy doesn't like apple crumble (what!?) so I was going to have to get inventive.  Plus, apple season is just around the corner, so I needed to use the apple pie filling I had so I could make some more and repeat the "what do I do with all this apple pie filling?" cycle.

And so my Apple Turnover Recipe was born.

I checked online and most recipes I found used puff pasty as the crust.  I didn't have any...so I figured my pie crust could work.  And work it did!  As for the filling, Ina Garten had a high rated apple turnover recipe and so I grabbed some of her ingredients to incorporate into mine. If you don't have canned apple pie filling like I do, then I am sure her recipe would be great.
For me, the pie filling was perfect because it already had cinnamon added and since the apples were cooked you skipped a step in prep. *note* I'm not talking about canned apple pie filling from the grocery store.  Yuck.  I mean the homemade in a glass jar kind.



Filling

I took my apples out of the jar and drained them. Then I chopped them up into small pieces, added dried cranberries, chopped pecans, orange zest, a squeeze of orange juice, and sugar to taste.

Voila.

As for the Pate Brisee...

Mix in a food processor
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Add
2 sticks COLD unsalted butter cut into tiny cubes
pulse until dough is crumbly

Add
1/4-1/2 cup COLD water until a dough is formed, do not over mix.

Roll into 2 balls and then flatten into discs and put into individual plastic wrap.  Keep in the fridge for 30 minutes (can be frozen and taken out 30 minutes before use)

Directions:

Roll out the dough onto a floured surface and then cut into large squares.  Spoon filling in the middle and then roll dough over until ends meet into the shape of a triangle. Press seams together using a fork and place on baking sheet.  Mix 1 egg white and a bit of water to make an egg wash and brush evenly onto each turnover top.  Slit 2 vents with knife.  Sprinkle sugar on top and then bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

(Inside...apples, pecans, cranberries, & orange zest encased in a buttery soft crust.)


4 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Oh, wow. That looks delish.

=)

likeschocolate said...

Yummy! I love fall desserts!

Christina said...

Those look amazing. And this is where I admit that pie crusts are still intimidating to me, but I'm going to try your recipe sometime soon.

Amy said...

Oh my heck delicious. I'll hafta try this when it's not 150 degrees outside.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin