Monday, December 7, 2009

Winter Wonder



I cannot even describe how incredible our evening was in Leavenworth, Wa this past weekend. My MIL was visiting from Georgia and at the last minute we decided to drive 2 1/2 hours East to enjoy the most magical Christmas experience I have had since my childhood.

It was so very cold, but the large crowd lined the main street of the small German town to listen to Christmas carols and watch the town light up at dusk. One of the most tearful moments for me was when the crowd began to sing Silent Night; first in English and then in German. I was actually raised singing the German version every Christmas because my parents lived there before I was born. I knew the words (one of the few in the crowd), and the tears came as I sang it in a whisper.


Stille Nacht,
heilige Nacht,
Alles schläft; einsam wacht
Nur das traute hochheilige Paar
Holder Knabe im lockigen Haar,
Schlaf in himmlischer Ruh!
Schlaf in himmlischer Ruh!


Then, like in a perfect holiday movie, it began to snow. Parents pulled their children on sleds and Kai would not stop spinning in circles on the icy streets. It was so beautiful. This magical experience will definitely become a tradition for us.

Frohe Weihnachten!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

So beautiful! Have you heard the story about the Christmas Eve during WWII where right in the middle of the battle there was a sudden silence all around, and some of the German troops started singing Stille Nacht, and pretty soon the American troops were singing, too, and right in the middle of one of the worst wars in history there was peace on earth for about 5 minutes? That story always makes me cry.

Sarah said...

So wonderful! I'm glad you guys had such a magical night.

Jen O said...

Matt and I went to Leavenworth 2 years ago on the train for our anniversary and had a similarly amazing experience. Glad you got to enjoy it.

Bethanne said...

That sounds magical. Wow...I'm kind of jealous.

gkgirl said...

oh...this sounds beautiful...
it gave me goosebumps.

xo

Blog Widget by LinkWithin