Thursday, October 14, 2010

Being Born

The other night I photographed a birth.  I didn't know how it would go, I only knew that I wanted to do it.  I would never ever ever let anyone do that for me (well, I say that now, but who knows?) but I was so very grateful that I was asked to be a part of something so...simple

Now, I hardly think labor and delivery is simple.  In fact, the idea of the excruciating pain I remember going through is birth control in itself.  Body trembling, mentally exhausting, physically demanding pain. But I would do it again and again to get what I have. 

I didn't know the mother very well.  I had taken her maternity photos so we were able to get acquainted in that way.  She shared my belief for natural child-birth.  She shared my approach in how she shows love for her children.  She shared my desire to have photos that tell our life story.  And her story - the birth of her 6th child- she asked me to write down through my lens.

She was 2 weeks late, and like a doctor I was on call 24/7.  I secretly prayed that it would not be in the middle of the night because...well....I need sleep to function.  I can't run on midnight Wal-mart escapades like back in the day, so when I got the call at approx. 5pm I was pretty darn happy about it.

I got out of my work clothes and threw on my comfy shoes, grabbed my camera bag and headed to the birth center.  The plan was to have her baby at home, but due to a lack of amniotic fluid, her midwife felt safer at a location closer to the hospital.

I walked in, took off my shoes and documented the night.

I documented her husband updating his facebook status.  I documented the trip to Subway to get the contractions going.  I documented her labor in the tub.  Her fierce and powerful push against death to bring about life.

And then her new baby boy cried.  And it was a simple cry.  And a beautiful awakening of my spirit that helped me see the reality of what is most important in life. 

My camera clicked as they held their new child.  Fresh and new and good. 

It was beautiful and I left feeling so grateful for that birth.  One that not only brought in the new life of a child, but one that brought new life into me.



10 comments:

leemeandthegirls said...

This is just beautiful.

Unknown said...

Her fierce and powerful push against death to bring about life.

LOVE that.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

This is so neat...love the wrinkled feet!

CB said...

What a beautiful thing to be a part of. I love the picture you took of those sweet little, new and wrinkly feet. Precious.
I agree with Jackie your words "Her fierce and powerful push against death to bring about life" those are some amazingly descriptive words - Perfect!

Kristie said...

crying here... what a treasure those photos will be for them! I can't wait to see them (because I GET to!! :)

beautiful pic of his foot, carrie, wow.

Olson Clan said...

kristie told me to check out the post and now I can't stop crying... You are amazing and I am so glad that you were able to be a part of our lives at that moment! Mind if I repost this on our blog credited to you? Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

Pasion Family said...

I am sooo glad you had this opportunity. Your style and talent fits the occasion perfectly! I hope to one day do the same :)

Hilary said...

I'm a labor and delivery nurse, but I've gone to photograph one friends delivery. It's totally different. It reminds you how special it is. Not that it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. :)

CK said...

This post left me emotionally tense! Wow, what an amazing experience. Took me back to my natural home birth with my awesome friend there, clicking away with the camera. I CHERISH those pictures and love that experience so much.
So, thank you for documenting something so special for one of our sisters!
-CK

Charlotte said...

That is pretty neat. I have never witnessed any births but my own children and think it would be an awesome experience.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin