Monday, May 16, 2011

frankly, i have a great idea

Kai's birthday is in mid-December and I have NEVER had a party for him (for that very reason.)  I think it's time!  But I can tell you right now it's not going to happen during that month (we'll most likely be on vacation again) and so I was thinking about a 1/2 birthday party this summer.  I long to do something outside  and I think I have come up with a very fun idea;)  Have you ever done a 1/2 party?  Would you attend one? 

I love love love the books by Mo Willems.  The man is an artistic genius who used to work on Sesame Street.  You'll probably know him best by "the pigeon books."  The sarcasm and exasperation in all of them is right up my ally!  I think I have just about every book he has written/illustrated and they are our fun go-to books for a good laugh.

What is especially funny is his ever-so-illusive hang up on hot dogs.  Personally, I have to really be in the mood to eat one, and frankly (ha!), the ingredient list is less than desirable if you know what I mean, BUT, wouldn't a HOT DOG PARTY based on this book be ever so fun?  It might have already been done before since I have yet to Google it, but I'm pretty sure I can make it cool in my own way.


My mind is reeling, and even if I cannot convince Kai to go for it because he would prefer a Transformers party instead, I might have to throw it for the kids for a fun Summer party anyway.


11 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Every kid loves a good hot dog (party), right?

;)

Wendy said...

Growing up we celebrated a 1/2 birthday every year. My brother and I share a birthday not being twins. We would get 1/2 a meal and half of other things. I think your idea is brilliant! Hot dogs are so much fun!

Annette W. said...

My kids are younger and love the Elephant and Piggie books best...I find the sarcasm a bit much for them in the others...

Great idea!

Debby said...

My husband's birthday is Dec. 29. He still talks about not having parties, gifts and sometimes not even a cake. So I always do something for him on his day. I now have two grandbabies born in Dec. One on the 7th and one on
New Years Eve. day. I think it is important to celebrate their real birthdays. Maybe celebrate and give them a IOU for a day in the summer to do something really fun.

likeschocolate said...

We are doing a 1/4 birthday party this year because my son wanted to have a swim birthday party, and well it is just too cold in February. Have fun planning it!

Amy said...

I like this idea! maybe if you present the idea of the party and the idea of the theme at the same time, he'll go for it! I know I would. I don't mind hot dogs now but I didn't like them as a kid. If Kai likes them, you're golden.

Shannon said...

great idea.

love every book mo willems has!

do it!

Pasion Family said...

Perfect idea to have a 1/2 birthday party- Your boy will looovvvee the idea!

SuzanneF said...

How old is Kai? Gotta go with the transformers or spiderman or whatever he's into at his age. The Mo Willems books are terrific, but it's an under 5 demographic, isn't it? I'm throwing Jamie a Lego party in a couple of weeks. We did a Pokemon party last fall. And does it have to be annoying (in the case of the pokemon party) just because its theme is? Absolutely not. We had an awesome Pokemon party. Of course both kids were in school all day every day so I could spend lots of time planning, but this time, one is home all day every day, so the Lego one's a challenge to plan. But there are lots of great ideas to make it clever and fun, and as soon as I sold it to Jamie, he definitely ditched the spiderman theme in favor of getting lots of new Legos.

Amy said...

I must learn more of this Mo Willems. He looks awesome! And I think it is a wonderful idea. I am always looking for a reason to celebrate, so I may have to try this sometime. The half birthday thing I mean. Glorious!

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to do one for my son, too, who's birthday is in December - right after Christmas. I think it's a great idea.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin