Thursday, August 20, 2009

I'm thankful for mothers

lenhard family

see more of this lovely mother and babe from their recent shoot here..



There was that moment at the hospital. Every one of the Stroud's came right from the wedding to the hospital to see Aaron. Including the bride and groom. I didn't expect that, and I didn't expect to watch my mother-in-law hold her eldest son as he threw up uncontrollably... knowing ... that moments before ... she sat in the celestial room watching her youngest son get married for eternity. I thought, "how awful for her. To have to choose." Suddenly, she was in more pain that I, and my heart didn't hurt so bad.

And then I can't forget those hours that I spent on the phone with the airline. Trying to get them to switch the airline tickets because my husband would not be able to fly home as planned without charging me. I had a thought, "my mother could do this so much better than me." And then I hung up, having accomplished nothing. As if on cue there was a message that said, "I hope Aaron is okay. And if you need me to call the airlines for you I will." And I let her take that burden from me, and my heart didn't hurt so bad.

Then today, my daughter hugged me, even after I had snapped at her when I shouldn't have and wished that I was a better mother to her in and out of stress. Somehow she understood, and my heart didn't hurt so bad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! You're handling everything amazingly! You can do this and will be stronger because of it all! Hang in there, call me if you need anything at all! I love ya!

Jenna said...

What an inspiring post. Thank you for making me want to be a better Mother today. You have a wonderful family! I hope your hubby is feeling better.
Have a fabulous weekend!

Sarah said...

Well put, Carrie.
Been thinking of you guys today - I hope Aaron made it home okay and is improving still. Love you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin