Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Best Granola Ever

Pairing it with Mountain High Yogurt is my fave.


Oh, I know that many have made the same claim to fame, but have you ever known me to exaggerate?  ;)

It is so delish and I honestly have to stop myself from munching on it all.the.time.  I think it officially becomes bad for you when it is eaten for breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-dinner-dessert.  Otherwise, the nutritional content is mind blowing happy and you must make some pronto!

The Best Granola Ever (adapted from Design Mom)

4 cups old fashioned oats
3 cups combo of any: sunflower seeds, walnuts, pecans, almonds, pepitas, pumpkin seeds 
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup craisins
1 cup raisins
1 cup maple syrup/honey combo (I prefer more maple syrup)
1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil

Combine honey/syrup in small bowl with coconut oil and set aside (melt coconut oil if in solid form.) Combine all ingredients except for raisins and craisins in large bowl.  Add the syrup mixture and stir until all oats are coated.  Spread mixture onto a large bar pan (I use this one) or substitute 2 cookie sheets and bake at 300 degrees for about 1 hour-stirring every 20 minutes. Granola is ready when it is golden brown.  Spread it out on wax paper or greased foil and then mix in raisins/craisins while it is still warm.  Let it cool and then break apart any large pieces and enjoy!

6 comments:

Bridget said...

I've been seriously wanting to make granola lately. I never have but remember my mom doing it a couple of times when I was a kid. I can't wait to try this! Thanks.

Susan Anderson said...

YUM! And sounds easy, too.

=)

Amy said...

YES! Love the nutritional snackies! I'm allergic to peanuts and sunflower seeds so I'd have to double up on the other nuts. But yum!

**in response to your post: all of us are ranters. It doesn't make you any less lovable, even with my family situation. I think you're awesome and I love ya!

Amy said...

Mmmmm. Mouth watering... Kitchen calling... Mmmmm.

Bridget said...

Okay, I've made this granola 4 times now. The first two with olive oil. Those were good...but when my coconut oil arrived, WOWSA! I love love love it even more.

My mind has started getting creative and I've added 1/4 cup ground flax seed and 1/4 cup wheat germ to the mix, too. It's fantastic. Now I'm thinking about blueberries as they are coming into season soon and we always go and pick some every summer. And I'm wondering how adding peanut butter would work. Maybe even Nutella. Oh the possibilities are endless. Thank you for sharing this recipe! I've gone a little crazy with it :o).

Bridget said...

My latest creation - trying to get a cookie-like texture...so I looked at an oatmeal cookie recipe and blended it with yours.

Take your recipe and add the following to get the combo-recipe:

1/4 c. additional coconut oil
1 egg
1 c. flour
1/2 c. ground flax seed
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda

1. Mix all wet ingredients (except egg if oil is warm enough to cook it).
2. Mix all dry ingredients (except dried fruit - save for after baking).
3. Then add egg and stir. Add wet to dry and stir.
4. Bake in oven like normal.

I used almonds and mango for the nut/fruit and didn't use sunflower seeds for this batch.

I love it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin