Monday, March 28, 2011
A few weeks ago at church we were talking about The Word of Wisdom. It caused quite a stir, even amongst us Mormons (the debate of whether Coke- a caffeinated drink is okay or not), and I decided not to voice my opinion (gasp) because at the time there were enough opinions going around. But basically, I don't smoke, drink alcohol, coffee or non-herbal tea. I simply don't partake of anything that I can be addicted to because it is controlling and does not allow me to be my best self. (Although...I think an occasional Coke IS necessary to my eternal salvation.)
The discussion got me thinking about things I AM in fact addicted to. Things that I should only have in moderation. Things that can easily get out of control if I am not careful.
So! Let my addictions be known in the hopes that if I write them down, maybe I can begin the steps to recovery. (heehee)
1. Sugar. Seriously. I have to take breaks from this stuff often because really, I want some form of it every day.
2. Thrift stores. 'Nuff said.
3. Vintage Pyrex. So embarrassing...but I actually had a bag of dishes hidden in the trunk of my car for 3 months so that Rowdy would not see it. When we moved I packed it quickly so again, he would not see it. It will be like Christmas when we move to a house and I have space in the cupboards and can't you imagine me saying, "But honey--I have had these bowls FOREVER."
4. Flat sheets and linens. I know this sounds odd, but if you know me you are aware that I use sheets for tablecloths. I have a lot of different colors/patterns that I have picked up at various places just waiting for the perfect event to be used.
5. The Internet. I'm on here way too much. It can be used for such good in my life, but if takes away from more important things (like my family), I know that it is too much of a good thing. I'd like to make it a goal to relax a bit in this area and take a smaller amount of time in my day to be online.
6. Sleep. I can't get enough.
7. Thursday night TV. I don't actually watch it on Thursday night, but I swear I love every show that comes on NBC.
8. Kettle brand salt and fresh ground pepper potato chips. NOT the kettle-style. They aren't the same so don't even try the others.
10. Making chocolate chip cookies. You may wonder why this would be considered an addiction. I'll tell you. Because I am constantly making them and they suck EVERY TIME which drives me mad and so I make them again and again and again. Oh, I get those good batches here and there which give me hope, but overall every recipe I try fails and I begin to question my baking skills and then I remind myself that no I am awesome and then I try to find a new recipe and then it fails and then I try try again. I'm a hopeless cookie-baking addict. As seen here and here and here.
Some addictions need immediate elimination. Others might take some baby steps to be in line with "moderation". Either way I am on the road to recovery.
Hello. My name is Carrie. I like vintage pyrex and thrift stores. Heaven help me.
Posted by Carrie at 12:44 PM