Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Girls

 (I heard this book was awesome)


I have been having wonderful conversations with girlfriends lately via phone or in person or email.  Some of them have been about sad or frustrating topics but overall they are wonderful conversations because the women I am having them with are wonderful.  And I have noted something in the midst of it all.  These women just make me feel good.  Isn't that wonderful? 

I made a random call to a blogger buddy the other day.  That's the problem when you give someone your phone number and they keep you in their contacts list.  They just might call you randomly.  But I love her because we talked about absolutely nothing and absolutely everything that just said, "I like you." in every un-spoken way.  To be honest, I wanted to cry during our whole conversation because I was having a super hard day (she didn't know this) but just talking to her made me feel better. And it did because at the very beginning of our blogging rendezvous she wrote to me, "I just read your blog for the first time and I feel like I want to be your best friend."  So I said "let's be, shall we?"

Then I got a quick email from one of the dearest to me people in the world and just reading her short words made me think, "Gosh I want to see her in person because she gives the best hugs and makes me feel like a million bucks with every word that comes out of her mouth,"  I don't feel upset or sad or longing when I am around her and she does this absolutely effortlessly because she is just that kind of person.  The kind that loves me unconditionally.  The best kind. 

And then there was that conversation with a friend about the need to be around women who lift us up and not down.  And if we feel bad around them for whatever reason, is it worth our time and effort to maintain a friendship?  And I expressed how grateful that I was that she was not the type of friend who caused my heart pain and that regardless of our venting there is not a single moment that I feel down around her.  And how fantastic that is.

And then I wrote to my very best friend who lives another world away in China about how it all began...and why did she ever feel prompted to send me that first email 10 years ago in the first place?  It was just meant to be, she said. And gosh--was it ever.

And so many other brilliant and charismatic women whom I have the pleasure of knowing.

So my girls (and I say MY girls) have taught me so much.  They have taught me how to love and how to be loved in return and I am so grateful for their ability to just be my friend. I am grateful for the simple words of "Hi! How are you?" and a kind action or a simple interest in what I have to say.  When the world feels heavy (and boy does it ever,) it is friendship in all forms that can help guide my days into a happier direction.  And I am thankful.  So very thankful for you. 

4 comments:

Jenny P. said...

So, since our fabulous conversation, my husband said to me, "Um, you've been talking about Carrie a lot."

Heh. I told him it's because I have a friend crush.

Girlfriends of all sorts, near and far, are essential. And so fun.

Susan Anderson said...

I love my friends, too. Don't know what I would do without those relationships.

=)

heather said...

I'd kinda like to be your best friend too.

Amy said...

Sigh. This just made me happy. Utterly and completely. Good friends are priceless, aren't they? And I completely agree with surrounding yourself only with people who lift you up and make you feel better by being around them. That is why I read your blog. I sort of like you a lot. :) So very glad you have friends like that.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin