Wednesday, February 10, 2010

just me

i love unpacking. ugh.. well.. not unpacking, exactly. what i do love is unpacking "treasures". items i love that undoubtedly must be rearranged to fit in a new environment. finding a new place for them, and then smiling at that new place.

i think my style is eclectic. and a bit modern. and very retro vintage. and colorful. and i'd also like to think classic. i doubt there is anyone else quite like me in my design approach, and i am sure i am breaking so many rules. i'm sure there are many who don't like my approach at all. but all that really matters is that my home represents who i am and what i love. it really is.. me.


what i love

_DSC0045blog

my aunt's Russian nesting dolls. i really love these.

_DSC0033blog

i cannot even tell you how freaked out i got when i saw these on a shelf at the thrift store.

1) the colors are awesome

2) they are vintage cookbooks circa 1968

3) they are awesome-colors-vintage-cookbooks circa 1968. need i say more?

_DSC0029blog

i love fruit. i love the colors (and the taste of course). it is mandatory to have a huge bunch in my wooden bowl on my counter at all times. today i only have 2 oranges and 3 apples and 4 limes and 2 lemons left. oh. and 2 browning bananas. back to the store i go (after i make banana bread, of course)!!

_DSC0009 copy

i can't get enough of these shelves. the endless arrangements. old vs. new. and can you tell? i'm into globes these days...

_DSC0052 copy
this is my mom's makeup case. I guess it's 40+ years old?? I stole it when I was 14. either that or i told her I was going to get it when she died anyway so she might as well hand it over now. it worked. since I did a tribute to my dad here, i thought it would be nice to share this other part of my blood. i have a lot of other things that i stole from her which i will have to write about at a later date:)

_DSC0002 copy

i was in love with my previous arrangement in florida, but due to space and the inability to use wall color in my apartment, i had to make do with what i could. i really miss my bedroom with all it's space, but remember, it's dessert before dinner! however, i think i like this arrangement as well. i wonder what i will do next time i move? i'm excited about my newly covered bulletin board and all the inspiration that will go on it.

wierd fact: i was in a store the other day and i grabbed a curtain that i loved. it ended up being the exact same color as some pillows that i had. then i grabbed a table cloth another time. exact same color as my chair cushions. vases...book covers...fabrics...they all work flawlessly together. apparently i know what i like.

are you the same?


k-- so there is a bit of me!

6 comments:

Jen O said...

I think as long as you put your personal touch into your house, it will always be your home. It looks lovely. And my mom has those cookbooks...except she got them when they were NEW! :-)

Carrie said...

oh Jen! I HAVE to know if she made the squirrel dish...

Mary Seals said...

Ok, I officially hate my house and everything about the way it looks. Thanks.

Kristie said...

carrie, I love these posts where I get to see your awesome taste on display. And I adore anything photographed so artfully by you... it's just the kind of thing I like to look at.

Anonymous said...

Aaah Carrie! I love your style and the way you decorate!

Just so you know, Annalise totally remembers you, still! We drive by your old neighborhood and without fail she asks, "Why doesn't Carrie live there anymore?" So, there you have it, I do believe my 3 year old misses you!

Anonymous said...

I need you here to guide me through this decorating process. I struggle and you could save my house! :)

Thank you soooo much for those kind words. It's so nice to hear things like that every now and then. I know we haven't been around each other that much but I still feel like you are a good friend and I value that friendship very much. I'm so frustrated at how we can't seem to be in the same part of the country at the same time. Why is this? We might be headed to Oregon in July...maybe we could work something out. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin